New Years resolutions can be so cliche. They are the reason so many Christmas cookies will get tossed into the trash. They are the reason my pilates class will be crowded for the next two weeks. Though many will not be kept, let’s celebrate the sweet humanity that is this collective exercise of pausing and vowing to improve.
In 2016, I want to be more present during the time I have with my family. Life has accelerated in this journey with Dinner Elf towards “total dinner domination”. It takes resolve for me to quit the multi-tasking and just be with my little people in whatever moment they are living.
- shooting out a last email
- slipping in a much needed load of laundry, or
- trying to get an inch ahead on the day to come
- sinking down to be with them at their level
- sharing their joys, pains, and even boredoms
- giving them my full attention, even if only for 5 minutes
What do you resolve to do differently in 2016?
Here’s a few ideas for how Dinner Elf can help you make it a happy new year:
- Resolve to eat better: Cruise on past the drive thru. Delete that pizza delivery number. Come home to homemade dinner waiting in your fridge. All of our dinners emphasize fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins and whole grains.
- Resolve to have dinner at the table: Family dinners don’t have to be perfect. Forget perfect, just sit down. Make a family ritual of nourishment: gather your loved ones and dig into more than just dinner.
- Resolve to spend more time with family: Did Santa bring anyone that extra hour in the day you asked for? If he forgot, we’ve got a team of Elves ready to bring you just that. Skip meal planning, grocery shopping, cooking and clean up. Watch how Dinner Elf has given customer Jo Dale back her evenings with her family:
Happy New Year from the Dinner Elf family to yours!
Nicole Vickey is co-founder of Dinner Elf, a company that helps busy families sit down to home-cooked dinners.